Monday, May 2, 2011

Langston Hughes on Bullying

Never have I seen such a sorry sort who would prey on others weakness to feed his insatiable sadist appetite. It begs the questions of where has this world come to that people are pushed to take their own lives as an escape from the nightmare of their existence. No matter your race, color, sexual orientation, or ethnicity we all owe it to ourselves and to each other to promote pride in whom and what we are. Do not hide from yourselves, but face your hell and make it a haven. My mixed race heritage was a taboo where not one side wanted to claim me. But even then I raised my head high and walked steady. Back when it was not only “uncool” to be black, it was dangerous, but I didn’t mind because I had fully embraced my color. I made it so cool to be black that people wanted to wear my skin like clothes. Now, that racism is gradually fading, I just have this to say to the victims of bullying: this, too, shall pass. Everything that has a beginning, must surely have an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment